Volunteers play a vital role in support of our organization's mission to build abilities and empower people of all ages living with disabilities. Here are some of the ways that individuals, businesses, churches, civil and professional groups, organizations and schools can help make a difference.
- Ability Awareness: Lead a station during an ability awareness event. Volunteers commit to one hour of training then are added to the list of “on call” Ability volunteers assist events as their schedule allows.
- Mailings: Help prepare our mailings to go out by folding, tabbing, or stuffing envelopes. Volunteers are on call as needed
- Light Maintenance: Times available are 8:30 am – 4:00 pm weekdays. This is a great, fun option for groups. Call to schedule.
- iCan Bike (June 1-5, 2020): This program uses adapted equipment to help individuals with disabilities learn to ride a two wheel bicycle. Volunteers 15 years and older run/jog/walk alongside the participant and provide physical and emotional support. Each volunteer is assigned to work with the same participant all week at camp. Commitment: One 75-minute session each day Monday to Friday as well attend an orientation prior to the program week.
- iCan Swim (July 6-10, 2020): This program teaches the foundation for safely enjoying the aquatic environment and promoting as much independent movement in the water as possible. The program is not aquatic therapy, rather a program to enjoy the water as a leisure recreational activity. Volunteer as a spotter for the same swimmer for each of the 5 days and experience the thrill of helping someone learn how to swim! Volunteers can participate in one or more of the sessions. Volunteers must be at least 16 years old and feel comfortable in the water. All volunteers must attend an orientation prior to the program week.
- Power Up Camp: This summer program is an exercise and activity camp to improve the fitness of pre-teen and teenage children with Down Syndrome. Each participant will be partnered with a volunteer mentor who will provide encouragement and support throughout the program. More details to come!
- Family Swim: Capper Foundation offers Open Swim on Wednesdays from 4:00 - 6:00 pm in our warm water therapy pool. Volunteers help check participants in, keep equipment in order, interact with participants in the water, and help cover the pool at the end of the session. VOLUNTEERS ARE NOT LIFEGUARDS. Participants will be accompanied by family and/or caregivers. Volunteers must be at least 16 years old and pass a background check. Come join the fun!
- Blarney Breakfast (March 14, 2020): Come out and join your friends, neighbors, and local celebrities by volunteering at Blarney Breakfast, an event to benefit the persons served at Capper Foundation. There are many opportunities to help with the food, fun, and festivities! You are sure to have a good time while supporting an event that helps raise funds to benefit children and adults in our community with disabilities!
- An Evening as a Child (April 25, 2020): Capper Foundation hosts An Evening as a Child to benefit programs and services for individuals with disabilities. Volunteers can assist in the planning and preparation in advance of the event, and implementation and tear down on event day. This truly unique event gives adults the chance to reflect on their childhood and an opportunity to revel in those child-like activities which made growing up so special. Casual clothes replace formal attire; a laid-back atmosphere and laughter replace the usual formal fundraising setting.
Adult Day Services
- Volunteers encourage communication and interaction with individuals with Intellectual/Developmental disabilities as they participate in daily activities in the Day Service Program. There are many activities to choose from, including BINGO, art, board games, puzzles, basketball, ping pong, and nail painting. Hours vary between 9AM and 2PM on weekdays at Capper Foundation. Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older. If you have a talent you would like to share with our adults served, please contact us for more information on days and times available.
For additional information about volunteering at Capper Foundation, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at 785.272.4060 or firstname.lastname@example.org.