Each day, decisions are being made in Kansas, Washington D.C. and across the country that affect people with disabilities and Capper Foundation’s ability to provide life-changing supports and services to them. We are engaged in advocating and educating public policy makers about the challenges and needs of people with disabilities and service providers. Compassionate public policies and adequate funding are necessary to continue building abilities and empowering people of all ages living with disabilities. Please join us in our important disability advocacy efforts.

Capper Foundation
Legislative Priorities

Provider Capacity:

A strategy to stabilize and build the capacity of disability service providers to adequately serve Kansans with intellectual/developmental disabilities (IDD).

  • Establish ongoing fiscal stability and certainty for the IDD system.
  • Increase the Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) reimbursement over inflationary increases experienced during the previous fiscal year.

IDD Waiting List:

Over 5,000 adults and children in Kansas with disabilities are waiting for essential services.

  • Reduce barriers to providing essential IDD services.
  • Promote a multi-year strategy to eliminate the State’s waiting list and advocate for stopping further list growth while that strategy is developed and implemented.
  • The Kansas Department of Aging & Disability Services (KDADS) should continue developing the Community Support Wavier to accelerate the process where possible.

Employment Opportunities for Kansans with Disabilities:

Protect and enhance employment supports and funding for Kansans with disabilities. Many individuals with disabilities want to work, but they need employment support including job preparation, training, and coaching to be successful.

  • In April 2023, Dialogue Coffee House joined with Capper Foundation to support individuals of all abilities in Kansas communities with opportunities to be valued, enjoy access and independence to advance their hopes and dreams.
  • Support and encourage enrollment into the Kansas Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Savings Plan to allow Kansans living with a disability to save money and grow their financial independence without losing important benefits.
  • Support competitive integrated employment for Kansans with disabilities and elimination of the subminimum wage for Kansans with disabilities.

Expand Medicaid for Kansans with IDD:

Increase access to health care services for Kansans with intellectual and developmental disabilities.

To contact a Kansas State Legislator -
click here for the Senate or click here for the House of Representatives 

To contact a U.S. Senator or Representative - click here for the Senate or click here for the House of Representatives